The Irvine Prevention Coalition
The mission of the Irvine Prevention Coalition (IPC) is to support a safe and caring community by working together to provide prevention strategies and coordinated services designed to reduce substance abuse, violence and related problems among our youth. Click here to download a PDF of the IPC brochure.
Our community members are the strength of our collaborative. In order to engage multiple sectors of our community in the process of prevention, the partners of the Irvine Prevention Coalition have established the following organizational structure:
Irvine Prevention Coalition
- The Irvine Prevention Coalition (IPC) meetings focus on networking, communication, and training. The partners of the coalition and all members of the community are invited to attend the IPC General Meetings which are hosted on the third Thursday of odd months (September through May) at Irvine City Hall from 2:45 to 4:30 pm at Irvine City Hall. The January 17, 2013 meeting will focus on Suicide Prevention and Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports. Meetings are open to all interested individuals and agencies.
IPC Coordinating Committee
- The IPC Coordinating Committee focuses on the work of the collaborative including capacity building, assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation. The IPC Coordinating Committee normally meets on the second Thursday of each month at 8:30 am at Irvine Youth Employment Services at Heritage Park. All IPC partners and members of the community are invited to attend.
IPC Executive Advisory Committee
- The IPC Executive Advisory Committee is comprised of key community leaders and agency partners who meet as needed to review school and community based prevention and early intervention strategies in order to leverage resources and sustain needed programs and services.
- The City of Irvine High School Youth Action Team (HSYAT) and the Middle School Youth Action Team (MSYAT) engage young people in the planning and development of our community's prevention programs, activities and events.
IPC partners provide free evidence-based presentations and workshops on Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention. Presenters are trained Health Educators, Medical Professionals, Marriage and Family Therapists and experts from Law Enforcement. For more information, contact Nancy Colocino or Margo Allen Finlayson at 949-502-7921. Click here for a PDF flyer.
Special Committee Meetings
The Irvine Prevention Coalition convenes special committees to tackle specific issues as needed in the community.
- IPC Underage Drinking Prevention Task Force: This committee is working to develop strategies to prevent and reduce underage drinking in Irvine.
- Social Norms Campaign: The coalition is partnering with the City of Irvine High School Youth Action Team (HSYAT) to develop a social norms campaign for students and parents in the community.
- Parent Campaign: The partners are developing a parent campaign entitled "TARGET 21" as a tool to educate parents about the impact alcohol has on children. The campaign will emphasize healthy development and the affects of alcohol on the developing brain. It will also address many of the short term consequences as well as legal and civil liability issues related to underage drinking.
- Merchant Campaign: The coalition partners are working with local merchants to help prevent the sale of alcohol to minors. This effort includes site visits by coalition partners, local law enforcement, and youth. In addition, the coalition will host free Responsible Beverage Service (RBS) trainings for merchants and their employees.